Join Today

Hybrid View

value funds for 2017

There have been articles from last month talking up value funds for 2017. And if you look at the little green and pink squares on the M* home page, they were looking good recently. I am wondering about their performance going into the new year (especially now that those little squares are looking pink on the value side) It is also held that while value out performs growth over the long haul, it isn't favored in the later period of the business cycle where we are now. Just wondering what others take on this is. I'm not a long haul investor, so don't like any laggards loafing on the job chowing down on my other gains.
    To sum this up into a simple question, what are your thoughts on value for the next 1 or two quarters, and what might be bringing the value market down the past week or so? I don't mind riding the markets a few weeks but longer than that, I'd just as soon move on to more promising areas.

Next 1 or 2 quarters? Don't know, don't care. I buy mutual funds to hold for 10 years.

Well OK, Maybe its just been the past couple days or so. But still the style block has been pink for value for the week and a little longer term, My VISVX is down 1.99% since my purchase of it 12/20/16 and FSSVX purchased on the same date is down 1.82% since 12/20. I am mostly looking at that and the "Market Barometer" on the M* homepage.

plastermaster: you ask what might be bringing the value market down the past week or so?
    Friendly inquiry:
    Vanguard Value Index and T-C LCV Index returned 1.08% and 1.26%, respectively, in the past week. Is this not a good return for "the past week"?
    I hold the T-C LCV TRCVX. It was a great performer last year, last month, and last week.

Looks like the style block for the market barometer on the home page changed to day. Now the 1 week is in the green and the one month in the pink.

I went to the Fidelity screener for U.S. Equity and highlighted YTD. I selected Small cap funds and see the first page dominated by small growth funds. It's too early to tell if that will continue throughout the rest of the year and there is no way of knowing. I would suggest buying a small growth fund and compare it to the funds you have already purchased. Do you have a brokerage? Where did you purchase VISVX and FSSVX?