Join Today

dang taxes are high when selling a property!

i still got to figure out the capital gains tax but just w/ the state tax of 3 percent, i'm paying $17K in taxes on a property!! ouch

If a married couple, your capital gains tax would be very little if any, it's only on the gain over $500k. If you are single, $250k. Unless you were given the house free, or bought it in the 70s for $30,000, you should come out OK.

Your state rate is high, though. Our excise tax when we sell will be .0128, so at current home value $700k, it's about $9,000. We are at almost exactly the $500k mark for capital gain, so will have to pay a bit if the value continues to go up over the next 3-4 years.

what are the gains after the exclusion ?

You're in washing ton state right? So the house is selling for roughly 1.3 million. What's your basis in the house?

but the capital gains exclusion is only if you've lived in that property as your primary residence for the last 5 years, correct??

If you bought your house for $500K and sold it for $900K, are married and have lived in it for two out of the last five years the capital gains exclusion is $500K. The example I used has you owing no federal capital gains tax since the increased is less than $500K.