Join Today

Is the Market's Ascent Making You Nervous?

Dear Morningstar.com Readers,
    U.S. equities are enjoying a spectacular run so far in 2013, with the S&P 500 gaining nearly 30% over the past 12 months and setting a record high on August 2.
    Are those gains making you nervous about equities' future prospects? And if so, are you taking any steps to reduce the risk in your portfolio? Perhaps you've rebalanced out of stocks, for example, or have shifted money toward equity holdings whose prospects you believe to be brighter?
    Please weigh in by posting in the thread below. I'll summarize your comments in an article that will run on Morningstar.com this coming Sunday, August 11.
    I look forward to hearing from you!

I'm always nervous, but I'm just as worried about missing out if it continues to rise as I am about losing if it falls. Avoiding profits is a poor strategy.

Not as much as the decent in bond funds with good managers.

The combination of record US Stock indexes and the 2 major US governments (US Federal and CA State) enacting generally fiscally irresponsible and business hostile policy I am very concerned.
    My response is to keep my same 60% stock allocation, but shifting it from being very US heavy to more evenly balanced between US and foreign stocks.

Why would I be nervous about the market going UP?! That's certainly better than DOWN! ;-)
    Seriously, though, we've had a nice run and it can't hurt to keep a watch on things, but I haven't yet seen a good reason to do much in the way of trimming risk. I think we can still float up for a while yet.

I would feel much more nervious if the market was hitting new lows. I remember early 2000 when you got a definate impression values were not going to be sustainable. I sure don't have that impression now about the US market and I think international stocks which yield about 3% - more than most bonds, seem undervalued. Dave