Join Today

Thread: I hate bonds

I hate bonds

Our FI allocation (5% cash + 35% bonds) has a negative real net expected return of 0.5% per year.
    I also dislike vegetables. But I eat them during every lunch and dinner.

I hate them too. The only positive thing I can say about my bond funds is that they lose less money in market downturns than my stock funds. With yields as low as they are, I don't understand why bonds are so popular.

I love my bond funds, but I do have to be very selective (I don't own treasuries and have very little in investment grade bonds). My bond funds provide a very comfortable retirement income (over 4%), are much safer than equities, have provided a total return that exceeds their yield, have been much less volatile than equities, and during the equity corrections they are much less stressful to hold with minimal losses.
    I don't understand why bonds are not more popular!

Great post Conroe.
    I doubt that I own any of the bond funds that you own, but still admire your post. Bonds are good and necessary.

Hope your are enjoying your retirement in your new home.

hondo, nice to hear from you. I am enjoying retirement in my new home in Tyler, Texas. This is where I raised my children and where my daughter and 2 youngest grandchildren live, and where some longtime friends live. These days I focus more on meeting my friends for breakfast, and taking my children and grandchildren on vacation trips, than being too active in messing with my retirement portfolio. I am very content with a very low risk retirement portfolio, but enjoy reading what others are doing, who are more active in their investing actions.