Join Today

How many 'baby boomers' out there?

I will be 63 in December and have decided that I will be able to finally retire next July 1st (after working since I was 17). So far I believe there are about 4 of us all leaving at the same time. And I'm sure there will be more the following year. I work in an academic environment so the best time to leave is the first day of the new fiscal year July 1st.
    I'm wondering how many of you on this forum are baby boomers and are planning to pull the plug in the next year or so? As all of us leave the workforce it will cause a "brain drain" for sure. So many of us have worked for a very long time and we know how the system runs, how do get things done - right the first time, and we have the best work ethic of any generation!! Just my opinion.
    Do the ones that will be retiring feel they are prepared and ready? Are you looking forward to the days when you can do as you wish, when you wish... Do you feel secure and comfortable with your finances and most importantly do you have plans for the days ahead? Do you have talents and skills that you want to work on, or places you would like to see?
    I can honestly say "yes" to all the above. And God willing as the months fall away ahead of me I will stay in good health and my goals and plans for the future will play out!

Susan, I started working at a variety/dept. store when I was 14 - I am 58 now. I took years away from working to be with my small children, but always went back. I tried retiring ten years ago, but got bored and went back to work.
    My beloved husband died in April of 2007 - I continued working until Feb. of this year - retired on valentine's day.
    Do the ones that will be retiring feel they are prepared and ready? My late DH made it possible to be ready to retire - it was his suggestion that I go ahead and retire now, because I might not be blessed with a 'tomorrow'.
    Are you looking forward to the days when you can do as you wish, when you wish... I am retired now for 6 months - I kept my two small grandsons in June and July - now I am packing to move to Florida, so I really haven't had any 'free' time. When I move to Florida, I will babysit my young grandchildren (love doing it!), so my time will be my own when they are in school - free to do as I please when my 'gramma' duties are fulfilled!
    Do you feel secure and comfortable with your finances? With the money my DH left me, I am blessed - he made sure I can survive.
    Most importantly, do you have plans for the days ahead? I will move to Florida (from Missouri - brrrrrrrr!)Sept. 1st of this year. I will assist my DIL in caring for my two grandsons. I will join the senior center and take more painting classes. I will supervise the renovation and landscaping of the yard at my new home.
    Do you have talents and skills that you want to work on, or places you would like to see? I am a Master Gardener, grow lots and lots of tropicals,so I plan to start a small greenhouse business in my back yard and sell the plants to supplement my needs and wants.

My husband will be 62 in December. He also works for a University. He had a break in his work time as a government employee to do the private industry thing, but went back and he won't have his 30 years in until he is 66. He won't leave before that and is considering waiting until he is 70 if he is still in good health. I had to quit early because of my health and I take a gazillion meds so that is a big part of what motivates him to keep on keeping on. We bought a retirement house in Arizona but I am not sure that we will be young enough to take on a big move like that. Also, I think it is harder to make friends after a certain age and we have been so blessed where we are. The University where my husband works will also experience a huge brain drain as we boomers retire.

we're both still working and we're planning to continue doing so 2.5 to 3 years (til dh is 59.5)
    we've both worked since we were 14 so it will probably feel a bit strange to us
    money (assuming the market doesn't totally collapse should be no problem)
    i'm really the one who has wanted to retire (for 3 years now) and he keeps encouraging me to keep working
    i don't mind my work (teacher-librarian) as much as i mind missing the time to do other things i want to do
    by the time we retire, we'll be to out of shape to do much!!

I retired 14 months ago (how time flies!) after 34 years with my company at age 58. I do not regret my decision! I love the luxury of doing what I want when I want.