Join Today

Thread: Sad news.

Amazonnnjkz

Sad news.

Thank you, Ross, for this kind tribute...I do not feel any sadness as her maladies were so many and so profound, that I would be the most selfish of men to want her to still be here in such discomfort..She is FREE...praise the Lord.

Alisa93Rut
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife Sue, and all of your family. As you said, it is sometimes MUCH better to be "free" of chronic pain and discomfort. Again, our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours! Win

AliseHat
    Bob, that sentiment is exactly how I felt when each of my parents passed following long illnesses. My sympathies to you anyway, but I agree completely with your view on the situation. Sometimes the most loving thing is to realise that our loved ones indeed finally are free, as you say.

AgrokrdWew
    RPKRPI - When the reason you bought the security change, doesn’t fit your plan any longer, you change your plan and your risk profile. I let my winners run and monitor the laggards in a bull market trying to upgrade the quality of my portfolio. I let MSFT, INTC and APPL run for twenty years or more which became at least 50% of my investable assets and became rich by not having any set rules. I’am letting AMZN run now, the only one really. Others I take profits when I see an unexpected run up or may buy more on an unexpected drop like a correction. Mutual funds are where I keep my profits while I wait for a buying opportunity. One fund is about 20% of my investable assets currently. In my opinion if someone is going to bail at a set percentage, a certain PE or keep everything in a mutual fund you’ll never get rich but you’ll be safer then the way I do things if that’s for you.

AllaOutsisy
    I will consider selling an individual stock if:
    1) It becomes ~10% or more of the portfolio. Too much individual “company risk”. I will NOT sell it all, just “trim” the position.
    2) I will STRONGLY consider selling a holding if it cuts its dividend, or appears “at risk” for a dividend cut.
    3) If a company loses it’s competitive “moat”, I will consider selling. I am paying more attention to “moats” as I get older.
    4) If a stock becomes “severely” overvalued, I will at least “re- evaluate” the holding, and whether I still want to hold it.

RPKRPI - I have large positions in a few stocks first of all. The ones in the suitcase plus two MLP's and that's it. Some I've held for 40+ years. The only laggard I'am watching is OHI, it no longer provides meaningful dividend increases or growth of principle. It will be gone ASAP. I recently exchanged MSFT, INTC and APPL, after owning then for years, for AMZN, V and MA for better growth prospects. I hope to own them for years. All these positions are about 1/3 of my portfolio. I live off of my CEF income, also about 1/3 of my portfolio. The rest is preferred stock, a muni fund (20%), Pondx and Vwinx which are tax accounts. That's it basically. Lets say 20-40 targeted positions max. For individual stocks, I start at a 2.5% position and see how it goes and pick up the other half later on or let it grow into a 5% position. I let them run up to 10% or more, 15% max, then take profits. Amazon ran up to 10% in two months last year, I booked the gains reducing that position to less then 5% of my portfolio. If your a spend down investor you need to take profits at say 10%. I income invest so I wait longer, don't need the money to live on.