Join Today

Aviva Section 32 Policy

I'm trying to work out where I stand with respect to the lifetime allowance and am not sure I've correctly interpreted this Section 32 policy I have with Aviva.

My last valuation letter shows a transfer value of 30,000. I'm assuming that this is the amount - along with any final bonus - that I could purchase an annuity with. So, first question - is the transfer value the amount I add to other DC plan values for the purposes of the lifetime allowance?

My second question relates to a guaranteed minimum pension benefit incorporated in the policy. The GMP is stated as being 350 p.a., revalued at 8.5% compound for each year between when the policy was taken out and my NRA at the time, which will be 36 years. I think this makes the GMP value around 6,600 p.a.

If I'm correct in thinking that the transfer value of 30k,even if bumped up by a decent final bonus has to be applied to an annuity, the GMP will be far more valuable. In which case, is it this I multiply by 20 to incorporate in my lifetime allowance calculations.

If anyone can comment on the above I'd be really grateful.

Thanks. The TV is 30,264.36. The GMP isn't given in the annual statement but I have the original policy document which says the GMP started at 351.68 p.a. but would be revalued at 8.5% compound from when I took the policy to my NRA which will be 36 years. I make the GMP 6,609 - the schedule I was given with the original policy says 6,631.

I can't rely on the TV as each year the statement makes mention of a terminal bonus, but in the meantime the TV increases a small amount. Either way I'm not even clear if I can treat the TV as a DC amount.

I agree that the TV and GMP seem miles apart but that's what I have in front of me. Just wondered what I should expect to get. I get the impression Aviva are not adding bonuses to the fund, and presumably will just pay the GMP.

OH has a s32 Aviva policy (ex Norwich Union).

The transfer value has always been very low relative to the GMP.

I'd be interested in a solution to your query re the valuation for LTA purposes, something we are now grappling with also.