Join Today
    agrohimsou

Money v Making Stuff-Should Britain bid farewell to the golden egg of banking.

All us skilled and experienced engineers are retiring and taking our skills with us, the new generation with only basic maths and science can never catch up with the UKs competitors. We will never make cars, ships, cameras, mobile phones, computers or most consumer electronics again. It's not a matter of Britain choosing manufacturing, the support, subcontractors, primary products & materials, management skills, factory worker mentality, and the super skilled and underpaid engineers, all gone. And no one in government has the neccesary know-how to bring it back. The "how to" mentioned above assumes a level of knowledge & experience which very few people possess.

Airbladeenb
    Perhaps they had no choice except financial services, gambling, "speculating", "trading". Now it appears the financial services sector has been taken over by shady, greedy and poorly qualified bluffers intent on lining their own nests at the expense of the country. So again we cannot assume that the "how to" mentioned above exists either in government or amongst economists.

Hi Prof Eman, what's your speciality? Hope it's not economics.
    I am a bit prejudiced as a very practical hands on engineer, happiest on site with problems to solve.
    The result is that even amongst engineers I can see through the bluffers and the less skilled.

Airbladebnx
    Also I have first hand knowledge of electronic, electrical & mechanical products, place of manufacture, reliability and ease of maintenance, hence good design. I can tell a British/ German?Japanese?French? product without looking at the nameplate!

Airbladerlm
    Classical economics says that there are four factors of production: land, labour, capital and entrepreneurship. Some would conflate entrepreneurship with labour.

These need to be combined in the right proportions for economic success. To some extent they are interchangeable e.g. when labour becomes too expensive it is substituted by capital intensive automation.

UK land is good for sheep, cattle, forestry and arable although the south east may soon become more of a wine and citrus growing region due to global warming. Included in land is our natural resources: the sea, lakes and rivers, wind and tides plus coal, oil and gas, stone and small amounts of other minerals. Mining underground coal in most parts of the UK is uneconomic due to narrow seams although there is some hope for coal bed methane and other unconventional technologies. Surface mining is small scale and limited by "nimbyism" in places like the Vale of Beauvoir. Oil is running out and financing the exploitation of oil and gas is made difficult by political risk associated with unforeseeable tax changes. Nuclear power and oil shale based power are handicapped by "nimbyism" and some environmental concerns.