Join Today

How to determine if I own underperforming...

I'm struggling to learn how to determine if I have underperforming mutual funds. Since I purchase funds at different points in time, the % gain I see means very little because its based on the entire ownership period.
    I would like to compare the % gain of fund A, fund B, and an index (S&P 500) with a varying input parameter (time).
    Who has tools that allow me to do this? I've tried Scottrade, Yahoo, and nothing seems to give me what I want.
    Help is so much appreciated.

How about the "performance" tab here at M*? Enter the MF symbol of choice in the quote box and then select "performance" from the menu bar. You can then enter an alternative MF symbol, select an MF regional or type category and/or a market index. The resultant display will give you comparisons of total performance over various periods of time. (Total return is the true measure of yield)

M* charts allows customized dates.
    Ratios of Yahoo Finance adjusted-closes between 2 dates provide total returns.

I use StockCharts performace charting feature to compare total returns of multiple funds...includes dividends.

I would agree the M* performance tab allows comparing funds. I also look at the S&P 500 performance tab as my gold standard. I look to out perform the S&P.
    As far as what you are asking as to seeing how your funds are performing with purchases at different dates, I use a spreadsheet using the XIRR macro. I use it with LibreOffice spreadsheet but OpenOffice and the microsoft products have it too. I also use some of my own formulas. I found XIRR hard to understand at first.
    Realize though that if M* shows a fund had 30% growth for the last year and XIRR shows the fund is gaining 5% per year, the problem might be the the fund is volatile and you were unlucky enogh to purchase at the wrong time rather than the fund being a poor performer. If you are into spreadsheets I could post an example.