Join Today

How to find purchase price of home that was never listed

I called the recorder who gave me the deed transfer date but the price wasn't on there. How can I find out the price? Is that public record or can it be hidden?

Depends on your state. As I understand it sales prices are not public information in Texas. In my state there are county websites with sales information, the local paper has sales information, and the state has a database.

In many states (most? except for the nation-state of Texas, which has to be different) sales price information is eventually available on a city or county website. This information is sometimes used to dispute assessment values.

Sometimes the sales price is not useful (say, for transfers between family members, divorce, etc.)

Lake County, In. The recorder only had the transfer date. I'll try the assessor. It wasn't between family members.

I moved to Lake County Indiana last year and I have also noticed that sometimes you can find the sales price of a home online and sometimes you can't. The assessor's office should be able to help you though.