Join Today

Timeshare Presentations

My wife and I were doing a short trip in San Antonio the other day when we were approached by two Wyndham timeshare agents on separate occasions wanting us to attend a presentation. We finally agreed after I convinced the second agent to give us more goodies than they originally offered if we went, and we took the bus to the resort for the two hour long pitch.

Everything was fine for the first two hours (it was far longer than they promised) until the hard sell. When we kept saying no, the agents got downright nasty and rude to us, but they did give us the items they promised. I understand them not appreciating rejection, but the salesmen know what they are getting into when they take on this job. They are attempting to sell prepaid vacation condo time; something with such a bad reputation they have to offer numerous incentives to potential buyers just to get them willing to hear the infomercial.

I have heard some people actually capitalize on these presentations so they can acquire free meals and other things to save money on their personal vacations, but I couldn't do that; it's way too stressful. I have been to one before, and the agents acted the same way when I refused to buy. Have you gone to any of these presentations?

Nope. If it takes 2 hours or 3 hours, you know what you "signed up for". I never want to own anything that has no value and cannot be sold. You are paying for air and time. A bad deal in my book.

Nope. We've been approached many times and just those making the first contact is enough to put me off from even signing up. There is not enough free stuff that they can offer that will get me to attend a time share presentation.

I really despise hard sell salespeople. I just walk away. Hubby will listen for a bit then decline.

I have gone to one and my experience was similar. I more or less knew what to expect from friends, so I took it as a bit of a challenge.

They told me 2 hours, so at the 90 minute mark I started to give them time checks to keep them on schedule. The sales guy got the point when I kept telling hike 15 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.

They brought in the heavy hitter at exactly 2 hours, probably because I told my sales guy that my time was up, and if I didn't get my swag immediately I was going to go over to that nice couple at the other table, the ones who looked like they were going to sign, and disrupt the sales pitch.

Heavy hitter did put on the pressure, talking about how we had accepted their hospitality, and we were about to make a huge mistake by walking away from the great deal they were offering us. I laughed, and took a few minutes to discuss numbers with him. I pointed out his math 'errors', mocked him for thinking that a free, mediocre breakfast obligated me to purchase a $60k timeshare, and reminded him that I could walk over to any table in the room and start pointing math errors out to any of the marks they were chatting up.

Got my swag, got called a nasty name, and was out if there at 2:20. My wife, who doesn't thrive on confrontation, was horrified by the process. I found it amusing, but would not do it again.

I do a lot of contract negotiation as part of my work life. I can see how the hard sell would be effective with many people, and I will admit that some parts of the pitch were appealing. The sales guys were smooth, right up to the point I started to take control, at which point they had little to lose.

I do feel a bit bad that I did not interrupt and save some of the people they were swindling, but presumably they knew what they were getting into.

We did find out something interesting when we attended. Timeshares have changed their system in which they have become more flexible about how owners use their time. Instead of being on a rigid one week per year system, owners are on a point system, where they can go X number of days at a time to whichever location they choose. If they go to a location during a prime time, it costs more points, if they go to a remote location in the off season, it costs fewer points. They can buy more points depending on how often they vacation and get additional perks to save money on other vacation expenses. I'm sure people are more likely to buy than with the old rigid system, but it's still a bad deal because their maintenance fees are ridiculous. Even when you pay off the timeshare, owners are stuck paying maintenance fees that rival those of their year round homes. Still, there are those who like their timeshares. My ex mother-in-law had a rigid timeshare and despite that, she loved going on vacation at the condos every year.

i would avoid them all.

we got suckered in to seeing a vacation club presentation in charlston . no time share but a travel club . it sucked but the perks they gave were real nice .

had we known in advance it wasn't what was explained to us in advance we would not even have gone for the perks .

they said it was a new company competing against expedia . they hoped we would try them and for stopping buy their office they would give us 200 bucks in local gift cards .

turned out they wanted 7k to join a vacation club , which was quickly discounted to 4k on the spot .

the come on was all cell phones had to be off during the presentation and all deals went away if you did not join on the spot .

i told them without checking their reviews i would never buy , i have no idea who they are .

they offered me partial deals for 2,000 and finally just gave us our gift cards and we went on our way .

the reviews were awful when we finally read them