Join Today

How Invested Are You in U.S. Stocks?

Between my 401k and outside investments? Pprobably 75% U.S.

That's a harder question to answer than you might think. 40% of the earnings of the S&P500 are from international operations.
    For example:
    Among others in my portfolio, I have Vodafone, based in the UK, but they own 45% of Verizon Wireless in the US. Others like GE, McDonald's and Intel all of which I suspect get more than 50% of their earing's internationally. With GLAXO SMITH KLINE based in the UK is almost all international. BHP BILLITON and PHILIP MORRIS the same. Bell Canada too. Royal Dutch Shell, maybe gets 25% from the US?
    It's a global market these days and just because it's an international fund it does not tell you it's US exposure for earnings or vi-ca versa.
    Not the kind of response you thought you would get I bet.

My portfolio is 60/40 - stocks to bonds. and of my equities, 20% is international.
    So 40% us, and 20% international.

Yrs ago changed to following what made sense to me after many yrs of Chasing performance and worrying morethan anything else.. now I'm covered no matter which side is up in the game..
    and if your like me, you might want to consider doing the same..
    'Nifty 50/50' portfolio keeps investing simple Jonathan Burton's Life Savings
    How to invest well and sleep better, in good markets or bad - MarketWatch
    Use whatever Equity and Bond Fund you want or think you can tolerate the Most..in it's Worst of times..not it's best..
    and Owning 2 contradicting Asset classes..
    Simple 2 fund port of an Aggressive Equity and a Aggressive Bond..
    examples and past 5.5 yrs since EDV came out
    VEXMX/VXF and EDV = +11% apy
    Made est 9% in 08'
    POAGX & EDV = +14%

By market weight you would be about 55% International 45% US. I am about 40% Int. which is an underweight but is more than what I think you average investor is - 30% International. As I recall Int. did better in the 80's worse in the 90's and worse in the last couple of years. From a relative valuation standpoint International looks better than US today. Dividend yields are higher abroad and book to market lower, but who knows what the future holds.