Join Today
    Deeklyhah

Waterfront property whats it worth?

It varies for people I know. Some value all sports, some fishing, some quiet natural lakes. Some want river properties. It depends on area and a lot of other variables.

But generally speaking it costs more!

All sports lakes are probably the highest value
    Sandy bottom with swimming even on a no wake lake is more valuable
    than a lake with a mucky bottom, shallow etc.
    Etc. down the line.
    Same with Rivers. Kayakable, fishable, the smaller the less money.

How do you look at it?

Aong many other variables I value a shallow slope to the water. A lot of properties are what I call cliff dwellings with long staircases down to the water. Does that knock down the price on a popular lake property?

I got to wondering because I'm having my realtor preview a lake property that is a small no wake lake with a mucky bottom/no swimming. Now for me no wake is fine because I'm older and value nature and quiet now over skiing. But I would like to be able to swim so that sort of knocks down what I feel the price should be. Too small and private to be great fishing (not stocked by DNR).
    All of this impacts any resale too which makes me think price should be lower than other lakes in the area. This particular property is not though and they have been stubbornly hanging on to the price for several years. The market this year is low inventory and hot so this year may be there lucky year. We'll see if I bite

How bout in your area? How is water front valued and how much of a bump do certain features rate?

Low slope in coastal areas is not good, even though people might be willing to pay more for it.

They are vulnerable to water damage to homes during king tides, unusual storm surges, and all those nice events.

Lakes are different.

Yes I was thinking inland lakes not coastal when I used the waterfront certainly can't even remotely begin to afford Ocean front property. Dont know anyone who could.

I know plenty of people oceanfront. My parents for one.

Most people bought a long time ago.

Oceanfront varies greatly depending where you are.

The warmer it is and the closer to great cities, the pricier.

Hamptons, Southern California, Hawaii, South Florida probably top the list.

New buyers that I see are generally investment buyers or someone who buys for short term rentals.

Of course there are some lakes that are just as expensive.

dolbozomby
    We lived directly on the ocean between 2002 and 2009 ... and directly on the harbor with a view of the ocean between 2010 and 2017. From that, it's pretty evident to me that waterfront (coastal) property is 'worth' whatever people are willing to pay for it.