Join Today

It sure is getting harder to help my retired shut in friends/neighbors

For a long time I have adopted several of the elderly I know... they are shut ins or otherwise frail... one sweet lady had a husband that took care of everything but dropped dead from a heart attack at the bank... very sad...

The privacy rules are really a problem... for years I would take the utility bills to the pay station and pay them with cash...

Always said the same... gave them the bill and said I am here to pay the amount due... this month my payment was refused as I was not the person on the bill...

It is the same trying to coordinate surgery transportation... I would call the hospital to confirm surgery appointment time or to make sure the person is ready to be picked up and this information is now withheld...

It is really said how we got to this point... or maybe I am just a dinosaur from another time...

I work at a hospital and we are part of the problem... someone will call in to confirm surgery start time and we have to call them back at the number listed on their chart...

Mom had a question with her medicare and the insurance company didn't believe she is she because she fumbled with the last 4 digits of her social security number...

It is hard to get old with so much being automated and the endless questions you are asked before you get an answer.

This afternoon one of the ladies phone was not working... I put in a 611 repair request and learned the phone service was suspended for non payment... she sent a check 12 days ago... no one can tell us if the money went through... the best they could do is call your bank... not going to work on a Saturday and NONE of these 80+ seasoned citizens have a computer and only one has a cell phone...

The other very helpful advice from PGE was to have the account holder add me to the account... not sure about you... but do I really want to be on the Utility accounts of several unrelated individuals?

I am in the medical field too and agree with you wholeheartedly. The designers of HIPAA meant well, but I think the inmates are now starting to run the asylum.

Privacy rules are there for a reason. The world is full of hustlers and conmen.

I am a bit puzzled about paying bills. The gas company sends me a bill by email, but to pay it I need to login and provide all sorts of information. For one thing I need to provide the account number of my bill. The email notice does not include that.

Amen Brother/Sister... the amount of staff time consumed to say no plus escalation is such a waste... and all goes into the cost of providing Health Care...