Join Today

Just another Zillow lawsuit

Gee, I asked Zillow to delete my home Zestimate and they said that the algorithm did not allow that.
    But, apparently, they can.
    Did Z fib to me?

I remember when I first became an agent I signed up to advertise on Zillow. My sales rep at one point said to me . . . don't worry if you get any negative reviews we'll just delete them for you. Luckily, I've never had to take him up on his offer, but I also discontinued my service 6 months later so I'm not sure he would do it for me now anyway.

I don't really have a major issue with Zillow. I think NAR is a gaggle of morons for sitting back and watching it become the #1 real estate website but that's another story. My biggest complaint is that Zillow is not transparent about what they really are: a website to market sales leads to real estate agents. They don't care about data accuracy, listing accuracy, the Zestimate being within a million dollars of the real value or anything else. They just want consumer's information to sell to real estate agents and that's about it.

Considering "market value" is subjective I am not sure what the basis of the law suit would even be. It sounds like someone is butt hurt that they did not see a fatty value when they went on to the web site ... so?

Pop appraisals via commercialized AVMs DO influence what some parties are willing to pay, or what some parties expect to receive for the property.
    Meddling with valuation perception with unsolicited pop appraisals is irresponsible and harmful to consumers.

Did you read the story?
    Zillow is being sued for favoring some firms by withholding Zestappraisals, but refusing to withhold them for other firms.
    After telling me that their algorithm did not allow them to pick and choose, they proceeded to pick and choose.
    Liars.

It is absolutely subjective. I'm not sure why you quoted me because I never said it wasn't.

Market value falls into the realm of a "common man" test. If you lined up 100 average Joes and asked them what they think a particular house is worth, you may get 80 different answers. However, the vast majority will fall within a fairly narrow range.

This being said, is it responsible for a company to put a value label on each and every property in the country that has a fairly limited chance of actually falling within that range? If you sell some property, I would encourage you to follow the Zestimate before, during, and after your sale. I think you'll find it quite interesting. Larger question from the article though is: is it fair to put the Zestimate front and center on some listings and hide it in the small print in others?

BTW, my favorite thing about the Zestimate is that Zillow puts a disclaimer on it saying that it's for entertainment purposes only. Maybe I'll start going around slandering people and when someone sues me I'll just say it was for entertainment purposes only.