I am looking for advice from people who have already been through my current situation who can provide me insight.

I am 45 years old. I retired from the military in mid 2015 after 24 years. I took no break and went to work as a government civilian the next day. I have one college student son who is a Sophomore studying engineering. I have been married for 20 years and my wife is a housewife.

I am in good health and have a family history of living into the 90's.

I am torn between quitting my job after my son finishes college or continuing to work for seven more years to get a second pension.

Here is the math.

Current Retirement plus VA disability - 63k a year. (free healthcare for life unless congress changes the law) I also have two rental homes which make a small profit as well. I have 10 acres of paid off land and enough in stocks to build a home in cash. The only concern is most of my money is tied up in the TSP and a Roth IRA which means I can't just pull it out and build my house without a penalty. I have lowered my TSP contributions and started placing most of my monthly savings into a regular vanguard account. I plan on building this up so I can use it to pay for the build if I decide to quit. I spend roughly 50K a year plus all home expenses (my current job covers all home expenses in a stipend) I don't spend any of my current salary, I save about a third, my sons college is another third, and the housing stipend is another third.

I drive a 2007 VW rabbit, I paid $3000 cash for it; my wife also drives an older car.

Ideally I would like to live a higher class lifestyle in retirement and have saved with that in mind. My original plan was work until 57 and have a combined retirement of about 100K a year.

However the fact that I can retire at 50 and still make 75K a year is very enticing.

For what it's worth I could quit today and still make about 65K a year. I would have to take about $120K out of saving to pay for my sons remaining college costs. I am not willing to do that.

For other people who have been through this conundrum, what did you choose? Do you have regrets? Would you choose the same thing?