Join Today

Time Versus Money

I am looking for advice from people who have already been through my current situation who can provide me insight.

I am 45 years old. I retired from the military in mid 2015 after 24 years. I took no break and went to work as a government civilian the next day. I have one college student son who is a Sophomore studying engineering. I have been married for 20 years and my wife is a housewife.

I am in good health and have a family history of living into the 90's.

I am torn between quitting my job after my son finishes college or continuing to work for seven more years to get a second pension.

Here is the math.

Current Retirement plus VA disability - 63k a year. (free healthcare for life unless congress changes the law) I also have two rental homes which make a small profit as well. I have 10 acres of paid off land and enough in stocks to build a home in cash. The only concern is most of my money is tied up in the TSP and a Roth IRA which means I can't just pull it out and build my house without a penalty. I have lowered my TSP contributions and started placing most of my monthly savings into a regular vanguard account. I plan on building this up so I can use it to pay for the build if I decide to quit. I spend roughly 50K a year plus all home expenses (my current job covers all home expenses in a stipend) I don't spend any of my current salary, I save about a third, my sons college is another third, and the housing stipend is another third.

I drive a 2007 VW rabbit, I paid $3000 cash for it; my wife also drives an older car.

Ideally I would like to live a higher class lifestyle in retirement and have saved with that in mind. My original plan was work until 57 and have a combined retirement of about 100K a year.

However the fact that I can retire at 50 and still make 75K a year is very enticing.

For what it's worth I could quit today and still make about 65K a year. I would have to take about $120K out of saving to pay for my sons remaining college costs. I am not willing to do that.

For other people who have been through this conundrum, what did you choose? Do you have regrets? Would you choose the same thing?

Your son has 2 years to go so you would be 47 when he graduates. and working for 7 more years to get another pension would leave you retiring at 54. With 100K plus per year and healthcare. That's what *I* would do!

This is my vote. Spend the next 7 years working and socking away the good money. Buy a good car before you retire that will last for many years.

Then retire in your mid 50's. Most people would love this.

Can your wife do a little part time work to qualify for benefits?

ebanakin
    Just for clarification my son is doing a dual degree Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering program and I am encouraging him to do an MBA after this. This will take roughly 4 more years, and I am giving him 6 months to find a job.

I think we might look at money differently. I would probably want you to have a lot more in savings than you do.ce.

The important factors, do you enjoy (of at least do not hate your job)?
    If you do not hate the job I would consider waiting until your son graduates and has a job. Then retire if you have something to do. I would probably go for the second pension.

I think you should find an hourly financial planner to review your plans and give you some advice. Not thinking of someone to manage your investments. Just to offer advice.