Join Today

Gilts and how the interest rate affects them

I have a UK gilt in both my ISA and my taxable portfolio, both are down quite significantly. These were purchased for me by a brokerage firm that was fully managing my portfolio. As I'm now trying to take control of this myself (via a much cheaper brokerage firm) I am looking at what affects the price of the gilts. Seeing as there appears to be a good chance of a rise in interest rates this year I'm wondering how this will affect their value. From what I can determine on Google it seems a rise in rates will negatively impact the price of the gilts. In this case I may feel I should cut my losses and sell.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

It is very difficult to predict the movement of all the moving parts of the global economy. Interest rates may rise gradually in the UK but although index-linked gilts will follow, there is no guarantee that ordinary gilts will follow or there may be a significant time lag.

The better long term returns are most likely coming from equities so for me it then becomes a question of asset allocation and rebalancing to ensure I get the best return for the risk I want to take with equities. For this I am happy to place a large % of my portfolio with the Vanguard Lifestrategy - currently a mix of 40 & 60.

The current price of Gilts will have already taken into account future interest rate changes that the market has anticipated.

The value of a Gilt will also be affected by how close it is to maturity

As mentioned above the market reacts to the likelihood of something happening in the future, it doesn't wait for it to happen. Hence...