Join Today
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Local council pension - Transferring out

    A friend of mine has a very small deferred pension worth around 280 a year with a local council she left about 15 years ago.

    Is it allowable to transfer out of a local government scheme such as this?

  2. #2
    Yes, though a trivial commutation (if/once the friend is 55 or above) may be another option for similar effect:

  3. #3
    OP's friend left before 2014, so won't normally be able to access her benefits - as a pension or trivial commutation - until she is 60.

    Is the 280 a year a current quote, or was it taken from her deferred benefit statement as at her date of leaving?

    Hyubh - looks like the Cornwall leaflet is for current scheme members rather than deferred. It isn't very well written, though - the bit about a man with pre 1997 service not being able to take a trivial commutation before age 65 is because a trivial commutation cannot be taken before GMP age. Similarly, unless things have changed recently, a woman with with pre 1997 service/GMP can't trivial commute before age 60, regardless of her date of leaving.

  4. #4


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts