Join Today

Is the natural setting of where you live more important in retirement than while working?

When I moved back to Tennessee from Indiana, I figured I’d spend more time outside. I like hiking, some mountain biking, occasionally fish, etc. it’s not the biggest thing in my life, but it’s important.

I’ve probably spent less time outside since I moved back than before. I’m on-call one weekend a month. That limits me. I work 8-5. This time of year, the short days keep me from doing much outside after work. It’s been well below normal most days since December.

I work in a cubicle overlooking a K-Mart parking lot. A cube here is a cube anywhere. I really don’t even see the mountains much except briefly on my commute home. I rarely get to go to the lake.

If I was retired, I could live closer to the mountains, hike and boat more, etc. I can’t really take advantage of many of the areas natural amenities working 8-5 inside of a cube.

I thought I really wanted to live in a beautiful area with lots of outdoor activities. Instead I learned that a great many other things are more important. All those great and beautiful areas I looked at were pretty isolated. Many were only enjoyable a few months of the year. Now we travel often for several months of the year and live the rest of the time near family and old friends in a place with more cultural activities, next to a University so we can take classes.

Since one is likely to spend more time at home in post-retirement, one's view and home environment are probably more important in retirement. However, since one spends 30-40-years living somewhere in pre-retirement, it only makes sense to live where one wants to live.

We moved to Florida almost 45-years ago, thinking, "Why wait until retirement in order to live in a warm climate by the beach?" For all these years, we've been able to engage in whatever outdoor activities we desired, when we wanted to ... and not only on occasional vacations or during the summer season. Ironically, we enjoyed living directly on the beach for about 8-years prior to retirement, but, three-years after retirement, we moved off the beach to a harbor area in another part of Florida.

I think it depends on the location of your house and your town. I lived and my wife lives 20 minutes from work. We live in a subdivision that is a mile from the National Forest. Find a home in the woods, not too far from Work. Then you can enjoy the outdoors even if just for an hour after work.

Is the natural setting of where you live more important in retirement than while working?

Remember all the people you wonder about who ask about moving from the great, high cost, high salaried coastal cities to the mountains of TN? This is exactly what they are trying to do.

You have that now. Make use of it.